CONTRAINDICATIONS FOR REFLEXOLOGY
There are several reasons why Reflexology may be unsuitable, some of which are due to medical conditions. Therefore, it is important you preview the ‘Contra-indications’ Section below.
To avoid disappointment, please read the information below prior to booking an appointment.
“A medical contraindication to Reflexology means there is reason to NOT treat unless permission has been gained from your GP / Consultant.”
If you are on medication, or attending your doctor for ANY condition his/her consent may be needed before you can receive Reflexology.
However, if you are uncertain about any of the conditions below which may restrict treatment please contact Hayley Wright on 01507 622316 at Reflex Foot Care for clarification.
CONTRAINDICATIONS WHICH PREVENT TREATMENT
• Any contagious skin disease such as impetigo, scabies, chicken pox, mumps etc.
• Severe psoriasis or eczema on foot (foot will be too sore to work on)
• Any untreated severe medical condition, or acute pain (Reflexology may hide a condition which needs medical attention)
• Anyone under influence of alcohol or recreational drugs
• Internal bleeding
• Any form of infection, disease or fever (can make client feel worse and spread infection)
• Diarrhea / vomiting – cross infection
• Bruising on feet, Cuts, grazes, open skin, rashes, bites, burns, fractures
• Nervous/Psychotic conditions
• Arthritis, Osteoporosis (may speed up de-calcification) and Acute rheumatism
• Medical oedema
• Pregnancy (not to treat in the first trimester – 3 months)
• Post natal
• Kidney infections
• Trapped/pinched nerve (sciatica) inflamed nerve
• Any dysfunction of the nervous system, for example multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, motor neurons disease
• First few days of menstruation (Reflexology may make period heavier)
• Immediately after a heavy meal – leave 2 hours
• Athlete’s foot
• Localised swelling and/or inflammation
• Scar tissue - 2 years for major operation, and 6 months small scar
• Hormonal implants
• Recent fractures (minimum 3 months)
• Cervical spondylitis
CONTRA-INDICATIONS THAT REQUIRE MEDICAL SPECIALIST OR GP WRITTEN PERMISSION
Medication for serious conditions as Reflexology may alter the level of drugs in the body.
1. Cancer - within 5 years of treatment/surgery, as rogue cells may spread through lymph system.
2. ANY recent operations
3. ANY Severe swelling
Cardiovascular conditions such as =
• Thrombosis - Thrombosis is the formation of a blood clot, known as a thrombus, within a blood vessel. It prevents blood from flowing normally through the circulatory system.
• Phlebitis - means inflammation of a vein. Thrombophlebitis is due to one or more blood clots in a vein that cause inflammation. Thrombophlebitis usually occurs in leg veins, but it may occur in an arm or other parts of the body.
• Hypertension (high blood pressure)
• Hypotension (low blood pressure)
• ANY heart conditions.
• Any condition already being treated by your GP or other complementary therapist.
Thank you for reading.
If you have any questions please call to discuss on 01507 622316.Hayley Wright
©Reflex Foot Care 2018